The theme of this category is to provide reviews for the most popular and best free file-based backup programs that provide adequate features, ease of use and ability to set and forget. File-based backup programs do not usually support the creation of a system boot restore disk. The intention behind backup software is to backup important data you create, not generally to restore your operating system or applications. There are other options for creating system restore disks and restoring applications.
Use backup software to save document files, browser favorites, pictures, videos and other data, documents and media. Some of the backup programs are easier to use than others usually at the cost of some features. Downloading and trying two or three different programs to perform a test backup may be preferable to determine the proper fit for your needs and experience.
Backup programs do have their own nomenclature for processes. Please take the time to educate yourself on the process and terminology. Gizmo's has several articles for reference including this Recommended Reading and the Freeware Forum to post questions.
- Shadow Copy or VSS – Comodo Backup
- GPT drives – EaseUS – AOMEI
- Incremental & Differential Backup – Comodo, Backup Maker
- AES Security Encryption – Comodo, Backup Maker
FBackup Built with a wizard featuring plugins for ease of backups
Our Rating: 3
AOMEI Backupper is well worth a mention in this category because of its additional ability to quickly make backups of files and folders. The latest edition at time of writing is 2.0.1 and now has a few extra features such as the ability now to select multiple files and folders at the same time for backup along with support for performing a backup or restore across a network or NAS (Network Attached Storage), in addition you are now able to import and export all the backup tasks in XML format. The developers at AOMEI are constantly improving on their software whilst still maintaining a clean and easy to use GUI.
Since version 2.8.0 they added the ability to schedule the synchronization of files and folders automatically to HDD, USB and NAS, the current version is 3.2
Please follow this link for a full review and rating: AOMEI Backupper.
There are a lot of free backup programs that have some unique features and excellent functionality that really deserve mentioning, but room here does not allow. If you are looking for more advanced programs, or some specific functionality, please check out the three links directly below for Special Reviews.
- Types of Backup Software : What’s the difference between Disk Imaging, File Based Backup, or Synchronization, and which should I use?
- File Backup Terminology: What do terms like “Differential,” & “Incremental,” mean, and how will they help me? (Includes other backup related terms.)
- More Free Backup Software Recommendations & Reviews (Advanced Backup Programs, Backup Programs with Unique Features, Reviews of Backup Software For or By Our Readers, etc.)
Related Products and Links
You might want to check out these articles too: